B Cador: November 2017
Last night, staff hosted another curriculum workshop; this time focussing on maths.
A particular emphasis was placed on sharing the practical resources and methods used to teach the four operations using Numicon, Deines, Cuisenaire rods and bar modelling as well as a focus on explaining the learning of maths through the 'concrete' and 'pictorial' stages before working in the 'abstract'.
There was 100% positive feedback with all agreeing or strongly agreeing that:
Many thanks to Miss Phillips, Miss Pitchford, Mrs Heaton and Mrs Charlesworth for the time and effort put into hosting the workshop, which was very well received:
- Absolutely brilliant — this will help me help my children. An excellent presentation. Thank you (YR/Y1)
- Useful to see materials used in school. I can refer to these at home to support. Would be interested in the calculations workshop also (Y3)
- Really useful as I had no knowledge of how maths was taught and happy that I can support X at home now (YR)
- I enjoyed learning how you would use a bar model to work out fractions (Y1/Y5)
- Useful information to help with homework/learning at home. Good opportunities to ask questions too! (Y1/Y5)
- It is lovely to be kept up to speed with what the children are learning. There is nothing worse than being asked by your child to help and not be able to. I don't have that problem now. Thank you. (Y1/Y2)
- Keep doing these workshops! (Y2)
popular recent articlesAlso in the news
Just a little bit of specimen collection before Base 5's science enquiry on...
Base 3 have worked ever so hard this week. We began our week by celebrating the harvest at church and the children did a lovely job with their singing and reading. On Tuesday we took part in our STEM week with the whole school. We were challenged to create a system that would help to move tomatoes down the mountain in Nepal. We explored different mechanisms and materials that could be used. We...
A huge congratulations to our star learners, readers and achieve award winners this week. What brilliant commitment to your learning you've shown. Well done!Well done too to all of the children in Base 5 who received awards for their Robin Wood residential.Also, a big congratulations to Base 4 for winning this week's golden ticket for attendance with everyone in school each day. Great...