B Cador: November 2017
Last night, staff hosted another curriculum workshop; this time focussing on maths.
A particular emphasis was placed on sharing the practical resources and methods used to teach the four operations using Numicon, Deines, Cuisenaire rods and bar modelling as well as a focus on explaining the learning of maths through the 'concrete' and 'pictorial' stages before working in the 'abstract'.
There was 100% positive feedback with all agreeing or strongly agreeing that:
Many thanks to Miss Phillips, Miss Pitchford, Mrs Heaton and Mrs Charlesworth for the time and effort put into hosting the workshop, which was very well received:
- Absolutely brilliant — this will help me help my children. An excellent presentation. Thank you (YR/Y1)
- Useful to see materials used in school. I can refer to these at home to support. Would be interested in the calculations workshop also (Y3)
- Really useful as I had no knowledge of how maths was taught and happy that I can support X at home now (YR)
- I enjoyed learning how you would use a bar model to work out fractions (Y1/Y5)
- Useful information to help with homework/learning at home. Good opportunities to ask questions too! (Y1/Y5)
- It is lovely to be kept up to speed with what the children are learning. There is nothing worse than being asked by your child to help and not be able to. I don't have that problem now. Thank you. (Y1/Y2)
- Keep doing these workshops! (Y2)
popular recent articlesAlso in the news
Please read the Warn and Inform letter attached to this page alongside the information below. Thank you.As you are aware the number of cases in school has risen. We have been assured by the local authority and Public Health England that our protection measures are robust and have been asked to remind parents of the routines:· We continue to ask parents to adhere to the one way...
We have had a lovely start to the year in Reception. The children have loved exploring and playing in their new classroom, in the outdoor area and riding on the bikes and scooters! I have attached a few snapshots of the last few weeks for you to...
This week we wanted to share our science and artwork with you all.We have been learning about the circulatory system and, after making our blood smoothies, we have looked closer at what is in the blood, what carries it and what our key organs do within this system. We have combined this knowledge with art, using range of skills to create artwork which represents this system. This is something...