B Cador: November 2017
Last night, staff hosted another curriculum workshop; this time focussing on maths.
A particular emphasis was placed on sharing the practical resources and methods used to teach the four operations using Numicon, Deines, Cuisenaire rods and bar modelling as well as a focus on explaining the learning of maths through the 'concrete' and 'pictorial' stages before working in the 'abstract'.
There was 100% positive feedback with all agreeing or strongly agreeing that:
Many thanks to Miss Phillips, Miss Pitchford, Mrs Heaton and Mrs Charlesworth for the time and effort put into hosting the workshop, which was very well received:
- Absolutely brilliant — this will help me help my children. An excellent presentation. Thank you (YR/Y1)
- Useful to see materials used in school. I can refer to these at home to support. Would be interested in the calculations workshop also (Y3)
- Really useful as I had no knowledge of how maths was taught and happy that I can support X at home now (YR)
- I enjoyed learning how you would use a bar model to work out fractions (Y1/Y5)
- Useful information to help with homework/learning at home. Good opportunities to ask questions too! (Y1/Y5)
- It is lovely to be kept up to speed with what the children are learning. There is nothing worse than being asked by your child to help and not be able to. I don't have that problem now. Thank you. (Y1/Y2)
- Keep doing these workshops! (Y2)
popular recent articlesAlso in the news
What a lovely first week back to school, lots of smiles and sunshine!In English this week we have been focusing on a section of our class story where the main character, Stephen, finds the most glorious beach and takes a dip; this hot weather is has made us all want to head for the seaside! The children have worked hard and focused on the use of commas when using fronted adverbials and when...
On Monday our butterflies hatched and on Wednesday we released them. We were very lucky because they landed on us and allowed us to hold...
We have made it to half term!! Well done to all of Base 5 for there hard work and determination this term. You deserve a good rest before your final half term at primary.We have finished on a high, putting our fabulous work into our learning journey books and receiving our leavers hoodies. We even managed to have our celebration assembly outside with the whole school.I would like to say thank...