B Cador: November 2017
Last night, staff hosted another curriculum workshop; this time focussing on maths.
A particular emphasis was placed on sharing the practical resources and methods used to teach the four operations using Numicon, Deines, Cuisenaire rods and bar modelling as well as a focus on explaining the learning of maths through the 'concrete' and 'pictorial' stages before working in the 'abstract'.
There was 100% positive feedback with all agreeing or strongly agreeing that:
Many thanks to Miss Phillips, Miss Pitchford, Mrs Heaton and Mrs Charlesworth for the time and effort put into hosting the workshop, which was very well received:
- Absolutely brilliant — this will help me help my children. An excellent presentation. Thank you (YR/Y1)
- Useful to see materials used in school. I can refer to these at home to support. Would be interested in the calculations workshop also (Y3)
- Really useful as I had no knowledge of how maths was taught and happy that I can support X at home now (YR)
- I enjoyed learning how you would use a bar model to work out fractions (Y1/Y5)
- Useful information to help with homework/learning at home. Good opportunities to ask questions too! (Y1/Y5)
- It is lovely to be kept up to speed with what the children are learning. There is nothing worse than being asked by your child to help and not be able to. I don't have that problem now. Thank you. (Y1/Y2)
- Keep doing these workshops! (Y2)
popular recent articlesAlso in the news
Today, we learnt about what happened at the start of the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain. What better way to show how Britain was open to invasion after the Romans departed than two adapted games of "Capture the Flag."Well done to our brave Britons who tried all they could to defend the country! They were exhausted by the...
Another great news assembly led by our Base 5 news team. We learnt about Mary Seacole, discovered a great Lakeland walk over Helvellyn and looked at some great work completed by scientists on the Thwaites glacier. We also celebrated some pupil news, and Marloe received an award for beating Mr Lindop in a TTRs rock slam! Another great assembly — thank you...
Sophie read some of our class story today- we really enjoy listening to each other when we...