B Cador: November 2017
Last night, staff hosted another curriculum workshop; this time focussing on maths.
A particular emphasis was placed on sharing the practical resources and methods used to teach the four operations using Numicon, Deines, Cuisenaire rods and bar modelling as well as a focus on explaining the learning of maths through the 'concrete' and 'pictorial' stages before working in the 'abstract'.
There was 100% positive feedback with all agreeing or strongly agreeing that:
Many thanks to Miss Phillips, Miss Pitchford, Mrs Heaton and Mrs Charlesworth for the time and effort put into hosting the workshop, which was very well received:
- Absolutely brilliant — this will help me help my children. An excellent presentation. Thank you (YR/Y1)
- Useful to see materials used in school. I can refer to these at home to support. Would be interested in the calculations workshop also (Y3)
- Really useful as I had no knowledge of how maths was taught and happy that I can support X at home now (YR)
- I enjoyed learning how you would use a bar model to work out fractions (Y1/Y5)
- Useful information to help with homework/learning at home. Good opportunities to ask questions too! (Y1/Y5)
- It is lovely to be kept up to speed with what the children are learning. There is nothing worse than being asked by your child to help and not be able to. I don't have that problem now. Thank you. (Y1/Y2)
- Keep doing these workshops! (Y2)
popular recent articlesAlso in the news
5, 4, 3, 2, 1....blast off!!! We have launched ourselves into space this week becoming superstar astronauts making our very own space station. The children enjoyed designing their own rockets using and naming various shapes. We have loved constructing rocket jet packs and control boards with our junk modelling, we then used these in our imaginative play. We watched a clip of a rocket launch...
Results from the Times Tables Rock Stars battle for the week beginning 22.6.2020 are in!!Well done to Aston (yellow) and Ravensmoor (blue) who are our winners this week. The next battle has already started for this...
Base 1 have had a fun week. We used some plastic syringes to test how high we could squirt water into the air. We had to figure out how to suck up the water from the water trays. Next measured how far the water went across the playground. A water fight developed as it was a very hot day. We have been learning about British birds. We made binoculars and went bird watching. After that we made some...