B Cador: November 2017
Last night, staff hosted another curriculum workshop; this time focussing on maths.
A particular emphasis was placed on sharing the practical resources and methods used to teach the four operations using Numicon, Deines, Cuisenaire rods and bar modelling as well as a focus on explaining the learning of maths through the 'concrete' and 'pictorial' stages before working in the 'abstract'.
There was 100% positive feedback with all agreeing or strongly agreeing that:
Many thanks to Miss Phillips, Miss Pitchford, Mrs Heaton and Mrs Charlesworth for the time and effort put into hosting the workshop, which was very well received:
- Absolutely brilliant — this will help me help my children. An excellent presentation. Thank you (YR/Y1)
- Useful to see materials used in school. I can refer to these at home to support. Would be interested in the calculations workshop also (Y3)
- Really useful as I had no knowledge of how maths was taught and happy that I can support X at home now (YR)
- I enjoyed learning how you would use a bar model to work out fractions (Y1/Y5)
- Useful information to help with homework/learning at home. Good opportunities to ask questions too! (Y1/Y5)
- It is lovely to be kept up to speed with what the children are learning. There is nothing worse than being asked by your child to help and not be able to. I don't have that problem now. Thank you. (Y1/Y2)
- Keep doing these workshops! (Y2)
popular recent articlesAlso in the news
We're halfway through a very busy half term, but there's no let up in the effort and energy Base 4 are putting into their learning.This week, we spent some time looking at the UN Global Goals for Sustainable Development and explored some of the challenges which the world faces between now and 2030. We started by being told to draw a picture, but Mr Lindop had not given enough crayons...
We have had a lovely busy week of learning in Base 1. We have enjoyed retelling and reliving our village trip from last week and have even made our own mini Wrenbury using junk modelling materials! The reception children have also drawn their own story maps and written a recount, they worked so hard on them and made me very proud. This week we have also been learning about 'good health and...
Well done to all of the children who have received an ACHIEVE award this week. A great final week of this half term. All of Base 2 managed to achieve the award this week, super work this half term.Another week of super readers, well done to all of the children who are pushing themselves with their reading! Our veg detective this week is Issac for checking to see if the plants had enough water...