B Cador: November 2017
Last night, staff hosted another curriculum workshop; this time focussing on maths.
A particular emphasis was placed on sharing the practical resources and methods used to teach the four operations using Numicon, Deines, Cuisenaire rods and bar modelling as well as a focus on explaining the learning of maths through the 'concrete' and 'pictorial' stages before working in the 'abstract'.
There was 100% positive feedback with all agreeing or strongly agreeing that:
Many thanks to Miss Phillips, Miss Pitchford, Mrs Heaton and Mrs Charlesworth for the time and effort put into hosting the workshop, which was very well received:
- Absolutely brilliant — this will help me help my children. An excellent presentation. Thank you (YR/Y1)
- Useful to see materials used in school. I can refer to these at home to support. Would be interested in the calculations workshop also (Y3)
- Really useful as I had no knowledge of how maths was taught and happy that I can support X at home now (YR)
- I enjoyed learning how you would use a bar model to work out fractions (Y1/Y5)
- Useful information to help with homework/learning at home. Good opportunities to ask questions too! (Y1/Y5)
- It is lovely to be kept up to speed with what the children are learning. There is nothing worse than being asked by your child to help and not be able to. I don't have that problem now. Thank you. (Y1/Y2)
- Keep doing these workshops! (Y2)
popular recent articlesAlso in the news
Good morning Base 4.A new Times Tables Rock Stars battle starts this morning at 9am, running until Friday at 1pm. Make sure you log on and play over this week.Please make sure you complete a Soundcheck every time you log on.I'll post updates through the week and announce the winners on Friday on the website.Keep on rocking!Mr...
The teachers have written lovely letters to their classes this...
Good morning all.Evie starts our week off... from Laura, Evie's mum...While there's no gymnastics Evie's doing horse-nastics instead.Lovely to see how everyone is adapting their usual activities — whether it is doing a Joe Wicks 30 minutes work out to lawn-rowing to horse-nastics...all good fun and bringing the children a sense of normality and all of us a smile!Penny has a new...