B Cador: November 2017
Last night, staff hosted another curriculum workshop; this time focussing on maths.
A particular emphasis was placed on sharing the practical resources and methods used to teach the four operations using Numicon, Deines, Cuisenaire rods and bar modelling as well as a focus on explaining the learning of maths through the 'concrete' and 'pictorial' stages before working in the 'abstract'.
There was 100% positive feedback with all agreeing or strongly agreeing that:
Many thanks to Miss Phillips, Miss Pitchford, Mrs Heaton and Mrs Charlesworth for the time and effort put into hosting the workshop, which was very well received:
- Absolutely brilliant — this will help me help my children. An excellent presentation. Thank you (YR/Y1)
- Useful to see materials used in school. I can refer to these at home to support. Would be interested in the calculations workshop also (Y3)
- Really useful as I had no knowledge of how maths was taught and happy that I can support X at home now (YR)
- I enjoyed learning how you would use a bar model to work out fractions (Y1/Y5)
- Useful information to help with homework/learning at home. Good opportunities to ask questions too! (Y1/Y5)
- It is lovely to be kept up to speed with what the children are learning. There is nothing worse than being asked by your child to help and not be able to. I don't have that problem now. Thank you. (Y1/Y2)
- Keep doing these workshops! (Y2)
popular recent articlesAlso in the news
Base 1 News Catch upBase 1 have been busy bees settling in as a reception class while also adapting to being Year 1's. We have been working on the "Colour Monster" story and discussing how we have been feeling on returning to school as well as starting "big" school. We have been reading lots of different stories to help us with starting school as well as adjusting to the...
Base 1 have worked very hard. Well done to those that received ACHIEVE awards on Friday...
Base 2 have been very busy over the last few weeks and have been working really hard! In maths, we have been continuing with our focus on number and place value, moving on to comparing and ordering groups of objects as well as numbers.In english, we have been reading 'The Hueys in the new jumper'. We have been thinking about Rupert's thoughts and feelings throughout the story and...